Skip to main content

Affordable Housing Reflection

The Affordable housing event again showed the true power of Poly's GIP Program. Maybe the biggest crowd to date, this event brought people together from across L.A. Young, old, English speaking, and Spanish speaking, all together in one auditorium. This event started off similar to an extension of an earlier event hosting Hive Be Good. It had a few of the same speakers, however, the content began to shift the further into the night the event went. There was a constant switch between Spanish and English which was almost seamless and still allowed for everyone to be on the same page. This coupled with the large range of experiences represented on the panel was incredibly insightful. As an audience, we were informed from the perspective of tenants who were often thrown in impossible situations, as well as government officials who enact and directly affect policies regarding this issue, as well as lawyers, and architects both playing pivotal roles in this issue. Overall I left this event with a more nuanced understanding of the issue, a connection to those going through the process, and a broad idea of how to help. Thanks to this event I feel adequately prepared to help raise awareness to the gravity of this situation and see myself doing so in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Aaron Fyke

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of attending Aaron Fyke's presentation on Global Warming and Sustainability. This presentation was just as educating as it was enjoyable. He was an incredibly animated speaker that kept the audience engaged. He was also able to transform the heavy environment into a lighthearted one with clever jokes throughout the night. However, the most important aspect of that night was the content. As someone who knew a fair amount about the issues and mechanics of Global Warming already, I was happy to have learned more about the issue at hand. I was also received more clarity on how the issue worked and can now explain the importance of this issue using sheer logic. Although this presentation allowed me to become better informed it also opened my eyes to what nations and companies across the globe were already doing to combat it, all of which was new information. It was exciting to see the stats about the reduction of coal use, increase in efficiency o

A Continuation in Language and Hence a Continuation in GIP

Over the past few weeks, I had been wrestling with a potential decision to discontinue my studies in Chinese at least, for the time being, Allowing me to focus and devote more time to my other classes as well as college apps. However, while completing a summer assignment in which I was required to travel to a restaurant I found myself in the midst of a place that clearly had much Chinese and Taiwanese influence. Whether it was the signs, people, or language all of it was not like anything I was used to. Yet, at the same time, it was something I could begin to become familiar with. I started being able to read some of the signs as I passed by, or pick up snippets of conversation.  Now granted I am nowhere near fluent in Mandarin, as became quite clear when I had thought I had ordered dry beef noodles but was served a beef and noodle soup; however, I knew enough to keep up. As I began to speak with mispronounced tones, and long pauses, I still gained a sense of respect by those I was spe