Skip to main content

A Night Filled With Revalation


As I have had the opportunity this summer to meet new people from a variety of backgrounds I have recently been reminded of the time I spent with the students who visited from Bejing. Despite political views from the left and right, and the perceptions each carry about an array of nations and those that reside in them, it is important to remember that people are people. A relatively recent experience with some exchange students from China has taught me this. While unfortunately, I was unable to host myself one of my friends, Brennan, was. One Thursday night he texted both me, as well as my friend Yale asking if we were able to hang out with them the following night. After school that Friday we all met up and I was introduced to Leo and Daniel-the two students who were staying with Brennan. This was something I had been looking forward to the entire day. Having a chance to meet and converse with someone from a seemingly "completely different nation" was something I saw as a once in a lifetime opportunity. At first, things started out like one would expect, hesitant small talk, and minimal interaction. However, once we began tossing the football things began to pick up. Yale and I attempted to use our almost non-existent Chinese skills, which was met with appreciative laughter and a mutual agreement to only speak English form that point forward. After clearing that up we stayed on campus playing ping-pong and basketball until we ordered an uber back to Brennan's house. On the ride there we began to talk, not as Americans and Chinese, but simply as people. As the night progressed we began to learn things about one another, like the fact that Daniel was in the midst of learning how to play guitar, and the Leo was the most amazing pianist I have ever heard, regardless of the fact that he was self-taught and had only been practicing for a year. Discoveries like this only became more apparent as we got further into the night, indulging in some classic American Barbecue and hiking up to the Griffith Observatory. That night we definitely discovered some differences as a result of culture, like realizing both kids have never had barbeque, or that they had never done something we would call "adventurous", especially if it was against someone's wishes or rules. Yet, while there may have been a few differences the amazing reality was that we were much more alike than not. We all experienced the same feelings, we all had those things that brought us joy, and we all had those things which we brought us sadness. We talked about things all teens talked about like our future or even our love lives. I personally even connected with one of the students in regard to some of the same struggles we faced. It was crazy how many emotions one can feel in a single night. It's also amazing to realize that amidst all that is going on in the status quo, all that is being said about one another, or those who are different from you, or those in other nations, we all have more similarities than differences. So why not let those similarities draw us closer, rather than let the few differences tear us apart?   

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing about your reflections regarding your friends from across the Pacific. Indeed, these types of exchanges remind us that there is more that unites us as humans than separates us. I look forward to hearing about your outing with our new AFS student.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Aaron Fyke

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of attending Aaron Fyke's presentation on Global Warming and Sustainability. This presentation was just as educating as it was enjoyable. He was an incredibly animated speaker that kept the audience engaged. He was also able to transform the heavy environment into a lighthearted one with clever jokes throughout the night. However, the most important aspect of that night was the content. As someone who knew a fair amount about the issues and mechanics of Global Warming already, I was happy to have learned more about the issue at hand. I was also received more clarity on how the issue worked and can now explain the importance of this issue using sheer logic. Although this presentation allowed me to become better informed it also opened my eyes to what nations and companies across the globe were already doing to combat it, all of which was new information. It was exciting to see the stats about the reduction of coal use, increase in efficiency o

A Continuation in Language and Hence a Continuation in GIP

Over the past few weeks, I had been wrestling with a potential decision to discontinue my studies in Chinese at least, for the time being, Allowing me to focus and devote more time to my other classes as well as college apps. However, while completing a summer assignment in which I was required to travel to a restaurant I found myself in the midst of a place that clearly had much Chinese and Taiwanese influence. Whether it was the signs, people, or language all of it was not like anything I was used to. Yet, at the same time, it was something I could begin to become familiar with. I started being able to read some of the signs as I passed by, or pick up snippets of conversation.  Now granted I am nowhere near fluent in Mandarin, as became quite clear when I had thought I had ordered dry beef noodles but was served a beef and noodle soup; however, I knew enough to keep up. As I began to speak with mispronounced tones, and long pauses, I still gained a sense of respect by those I was spe

America and its Global Standing

November 11, 2018 was the 100th year anniversary to the end of WWI, also known as Armistice Day. During this day an array of Global Leaders, Citizens, and Presidents gathered to honor those who had fallen during this war, as well as celebrate its end. The leaders stood shoulder to shoulder, hand in hand, and walked together in order to show a sense of unity between these nations. Yet, our President was nowhere to be seen. He along with the President of Russia both missed this show of unity. Something which is concerning especially with the President's recent comments about nationalism. This leads to the meetings second agenda which was to remind the Nations of the importance of working together to prevent such a devastating tragedy from re-occurring. The President of France specifically addressed this by making remarks, some of which were directed at President Trump's comments regarding his favoritism towards Nationalism. Nationalism is too often seen synonymous with patriotism